Making these giant marshmallows at Christmas time is so much fun and super easy. The best thing about it is you can make your own melted chocolate without a fondue pot! With simple equipment from your kitchen you can have fun building little marshmallow snowmen and snowwomen with your family and friends round the table.
How to build your homemade fondue set
A fondue pot is usually used to melt chocolate and keep it warm while you sit round the dinner table and dip your creations in the melted chocolate. If you do not have the traditional fondue pot you can make your own by using kitchen equipment you may already have at home. This is what you will need:
- A cooking rack – You can use any cooking rack that is tall enough for a candle or tealight to fit underneath. The rack I have used works perfectly well.
- A candle in a jar – A small candle in a glass jar is tall enough to heat the dish above it. If you are using a tealight make sure you place it on top of a saucer before lighting it
- A ramekin – You can use any ceramic dish that can withstand heat. I tipped the chocolate squares in the ramekin without the need to chop the chocolate. Half a bar of chocolate was fully melted within 5 minutes!
- Skewers – Use these as forks to pick your food and dip it into the melted chocolate.
What you will need to create marshmallow snowwomen
Turning marshmallows into little figurines is so much fun plus you do not need lots of ingredients to build your snowmen and snowwomen.
- Giant marshmallows – You can use any size marshmallows, however the giant ones are perfect if you are looking to draw smiley faces using the melted chocolate. I found the perfect giant marshmallows that come in both pink and white, great for making snowwomen!
- Melted Chocolate – You can use milk, dark or white chocolate for this recipe. I have opted for dark as it was readily available. For this recipe I have used the Cadbury Bournville Classic Dark Chocolate.
- Sprinkles – Any festive sprinkles will do. You can mix them if you have different shapes and colours.
How to turn marshmallows into little snowwomen
For each snowwoman you will need one white and one pink marshmallow. Follow the easy steps below to build your own little creations.
- 8 white and pink giant marshmallows
- 100g dark chocolate
- Christmas sprinkles
Utensils you will need
- Skewers or cake pop sticks
- A cooking rack
- A tea light or candle
- A ramekin or ceramic bowl
- Snap the dark chocolate into squares. You do not need to finely chop them as they will melt within 5 minutes. Light the candle and place it underneath the metal rack. Place the ramekin on the cooking rack. Now wait for the chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile prepare the marshmallows. Insert the skewer into the pink marshmallow then the white. When the chocolate starts melting dip the flat end of a skewer into the chocolate and press onto the marshmallow to form a smiley face. Use sprinkles to add the nose and buttons, using the melted chocolate as glue.
- Dip the head of the marshmallow into the melted chocolate and then dip into the sprinkles. One way to enjoy these chocolate-dipped marshmallows is to dip them in a mug of hot milk. You can also enjoy them toasted.
1. If you have a low rack use a tealight. Do not put the tealight directly onto a fabric surface. Use a saucer instead.
2. Use leftover melted chocolate to make a ganache. Just add a little butter and double cream and stir well. This way it will not stick to your ramekin when set.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 4
Amount Per Serving Calories 167
More Recipes you will love
If you enjoyed making these cute marshmallows dipped in chocolate why not try my smooth melt-in-the-mouth chocolate truffles? They are so delicious and fun to make. Another chocolate recipe worth trying is the famous dough balls coated in Oreo cookie. They are crunchy and really addictive!
Shop ingredients and equipment for this recipe
This article may contain some affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.